Friday, January 14, 2011

One Another

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. ~ John 13. 34 (NIV)

Who do you love? How do you love? It's interesting to me that Jesus felt the need to give us a new command; evidently this has been a problem from the beginning of time. But why? Why is easier to be selfish and sometimes cold hearted rather than kind? What does it look like to love one another? When my oldest son lets his little brother play his Nintendo DS, that's showing love. When my husband delivers a meal to a hungry family, that's love. But sometimes those types of acts are few and far between. It's easier to say "no" and to keep to ourselves instead of reaching out. However, we are called to an absolute, life changing love - love AS CHRIST HAS LOVED YOU. That's heavy, I don't care who you are! Especially to our own families and our fellow believers. Now what does that look like? I'm embarrassed to say that for me, the ones I love the most are the ones who get the leftovers. So we must love one another; we must turn the unscathed cheek and offer it up. Don't get me wrong, we still need to be firm and tough in some situations, but we need to speak and actively act with love as our premises ALWAYS. This is not an easy task. In fact, it's a daunting, difficult task, but by daily choosing intentional love, I can only imagine the benefits. ~

No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...