Saturday, January 7, 2012

Glorious Joy

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders, and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix out eyes on Jesus Christ, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. ~ Hebrews 12:1-3

Have you ever read that passage? I mean REALLY picked it apart and read it? I don't know how may times I have read this passage in Hebrews, or heard it from the pulpit, if fact, two years ago I decided to memorize it, but today during my time with God, I read it with a fresh pair of spiritual eyes and it rocked my world. I was fine until I got to this part of the passage: Let us fix our eyes on Jesus Christ, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning it's shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. JOY? Wait, what? What joy? Shouldn't it say something like, who for the command of God, endured the cross.....? Anything but joy? Why use the word joy there? Who for joy set before him endured the cross.... Are You telling me that it was a joy for You to endure the cross for me? You didn't even know if I would accept you yet, but you were glad too take on the cross for me? You actually consider that a joy? Scorning it's shame....You were persecuted beyond my comprehension for me. You knew you were going to be beaten, captured and nailed to a tree....this is joy? Yes, I know You prayed and wept to Your Father for relief, but You could have saved yourself and You didn't. You took my sins with joy? How selfish am I than, when I can't find the joy I need to help a friend in need? Why do I get so upset when my bank account is low, or how can I possibly get upset when You don't answer my prayer in the way I want You too? How can I justify being upset about ANYTHING when you consider enduring the cross a joy.........for me? Yes, I know the real joy was that You found yourself back at the right hand of the Father, but that's the whole point: you found joy in your pain, and so can we. We can find joy in our pain. I need to learn that lesson; show me how to live, and I mean really LIVE in that lesson. There truly can be joy in every and all pain if we keep our eyes fixed on You. If I really digest that nugget, than I that's one step closer to You, trusting you , not worrying about anything; another step to truly letting go of my control and living in Your presence. Thank you for saving me! Thank you Lord, that You considered dieing on the cross for me a joy when You weren't even sure I'd accept You. Fill me with that kind of joy. Joy that endures, perseveres, and comes up from the ashes.
Needless to say, I started uncontrollably weeping and went to my knees in humble, thankful, praise-filled gratitude. I cried so much, in a good way, that my cat started licking my face for the tears, but they were tears of JOY and I was overwhelmed. As the psalmist would say, my cup overrunneth this morning and it was GLORIOUS! ~

No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...