Saturday, December 31, 2022

Love Is

Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. ~ 1 Corinthians 13:4-5


I am sure all of us have heard this scripture many of times; in weddings, in sermons, even out of our own mouths when we are trying to explain to someone what God's love looks like.  Every time I would need to break up an argument between my young boys, I would find myself using this scripture - "remember boys, love is kind."  These words have touched the ears of believers and non-believers alike.  I know that God's love is patient, but mine is far from it.  Now and again I have to remind myself that being patient is a virtue and if I want to be in God's will, I must be patient - patient with my stubborn children, patient with my needy co-workers and even patient with my hurried husband when everything else seems to be placed above "us".  How much do I have to give already?  Well, according to this scripture, we should give sacrificially of ourselves so that we can show Christ's love to others.  Lack of this Christ centered love is to invite problems of jealousy, contempt and anger just to name a few characteristics into our relationships and life.  The kindness we show one another is much more pleasing to watch than the division that permeates our culture.  Not to mention that it gives much more peace to our hearts and souls....so why not show unmerited kindness?  Don't worry about what you may, or may not receive in return; just give kindness.  The harsh tongue lashed out on others to destroy them is much harder to take back than the silent lip, or kind word.  The ability to take captive all the  reminders of what someone has done to you and leave them at Jesus' feet without rehashing to your offender will rock that person's world.  Your ability to forgive the offense, let go and let God and never bring it up again aides more to the healing then land blasting them every time with your hurts....so why not choose to let it go?  God knows we are human and are going to mess up trying to live out His love, but we are expected to try our best so others will see the difference from the world's ways.  I have a long, long ways to go, but God's way to love is much better than my own instincts....so I will continue to strive to show God's love.  Patience and kindness can go a long way.  ~ Amen

No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...