Thursday, March 19, 2020

No Fear - Part 2

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Let me ask you a question....what have you been experiencing in these last couple of days, weeks?  I am sure you see, hear and can even feel the same fear, uncertainty, and panic that I have witnessed.  For days now, maybe even a couple of weeks, our grocery stores have had a haerd time keeping toilet paper on the shelves and yesterday I noticed that the produce shelves are pretty bare now as well.  When the local sheriff's department had to be called to help out at a grocery store in our relatively small town because people where stealing items from other people's carts, I began to think, "People have done did lost their minds."  How sad.  Fear is defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary as this, "an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation, or awareness of danger."  There is no doubt that we are living in scary times and I don't want to minimize those feelings for people as everyone's experience is different and everyone's experience matters....but let me offer you some hope.
*  1918 Influenza (the first H1N1 virus) - 500 million people infected worldwide; 50 million deaths worldwide and about 675,000 here in the US.
*  1957-1958 H2N2 Virus (Asian Flu) - 1.1 million people infected worldwide; 116,000 deaths in US.
*  1968 - H3N2 Virus - 1 million people infected worldwide; 100,000 deaths in US.
*  2009 H1N1(again) - 60.0 million people infected; 274,304 hospitalized in the US; 12,469 deaths in the US.

My point is, yes, this is scary, but people before us HAVE experienced this and been through this and some of us HAVE seen this kind of thing and we WILL be okay; we may not be okay according to OUR standards, but we will be okay.  I have loved ones who I want to keep safe, I have family and friends concerned, I myself, am not going to lie... am not to concerned, but I think it's eery.  This sucks; it is what it is.  I work in a high school that has been shut down until at least April 20 and I don't like it; I like my job; I feel sad as the end of any school year is so much fun, even for staff, and not it may be just suddenly, abruptly done.  I have a high school senior who feels sad, sad to him that he may not get to do the last fun stuff of the big "SENIOR YEAR" and possibly won't be able to walk across the stage.  But here is what my son is so good at....perspective, "What about the college seniors?  What about the NCAA senior ball players who have just be stripped of something they have worked so hard at for many, many, many years?"  Sad.  And it's okay to be sad.  It's okay to grieve.  We are all in this boat together and a lot has been, and will probably continue to be lost in the next weeks, maybe even months to come.  People are losing jobs, hope, will lose retirement savings, our economy, cars, houses, lets be brutally honest - family, friends, loved ones.  But let me offer you some hope.

📌 China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.
📌 Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally. (Happened this morning, 3/19, if you watch the news).
📌 Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against Coronavirus. 
📌 A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.
📌 Apple reopens all 42 china stores.
📌 Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.
📌 Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.
📌 Italy is hit hard, experts say, because they have the oldest population in Europe.
📌 Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a Coronavirus vaccine.
📌 A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.
 ðŸ“Œ A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.
Although it seems to be getting much worse, these are all positive signs it will get better. I think we could all use this right now. 

Above all, I find comfort in the Word; the Word of God. There are so many great scriptures on fear in the Bible, in fact, did you know there are 365, one for everyday of the year.  I don't find that a coincidence.  I have had 2 Timothy 1:7 on my mind for weeks now as I hear these stories of people living in fear forgetting how to be kind and compassionate, but instead hoarding abundant amounts of toilet paper and other items for themselves; which is not helpful at all.  People, breathe, you need a sound mind.  I am confident that I have the power within me to fight off this awful fear and to face the danger square on with reasonable expectations in order to help my family, friends and loved ones.  People, breathe, you need a sound mind.  I don't think God finds glory in us trampling others down, but instead He wants us to use this time to lift each other up; to get back to the basics.  People, breathe, you need a sound mind.  I believe with all my heart that everything happens for a reason and this is one of God's callings to His people to be bold and proud and show your school spirit!  LOL!  He wants us to reach out and help, spend this beautiful, forced slowed down time with your family; get to know your children again, get out the books, get out the games, get out the drawing tools, get out the play-doo, go for walks, go for hikes, love each other!  Love each other and breathe. Press into Him! Do not fear!  I am with you!  The lilies of the field, nor the birds of the air worry, why do you (Matthew 6:26-34)?  Yet another reminder that we are not in control. Breathe, wash your hands, be mindful of others with gentleness and kindness, but do not fear.  Fear gives way to worry, worry gives way to stress and hopelessness, and hopelessness, often times, leads to despair and destruction.  Reach out to others and be their hope.  Be their sound mind. ~ AMEN  



No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...