Sunday, March 29, 2009

Actively Loud

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. ~
1 Thessalonians 4:11 & 12


What? Lead a quiet life? Who does that these days? Surely not me! I've also got a load of friends and family who aren't quiet either (you know who you are and I love each one of you)! We're supposed to make it our ambition to lead a quiet life and for most Christians that's really hard to do. Sometimes I really have a hard time and I mean a REALLY HARD TIME biting my tongue; I need help with that area almost everyday of my life! You know what I mean. It's just hard to mind my own business sometimes; I want to be involved in everything somehow, please! My father in law is one of the best examples I can think of when it comes to minding his own business and working with his hands. He will be quiet for HOURS while his whole house is abuzz with kids, their spouses, grand kids and all kinds of issues being poured onto the floor. You don't even think he's listening and sometimes he even dozes off, but just when you least expect it, or when you ask him his advice, behold! There it is! A straight forward, thought provoking answer that was provided not because he shouted out his opinion when he should have kept his mouth shut (my tendency), but because he was ASKED for his advice and it's always been something profound. Simple, yet profound. Needless to say, I could learn a lot from him, and of course from this scripture. Sometimes we think we are doing the right thing by being peacemakers, problem solvers and great help mates when we spew our thoughts (sorry honey for those times) when really we need to ask ourselves Does this hurt, or hinder the kingdom of God? Does this person really need to know this? And even when the answer is not made clear to us, that's probably another time when we need to bite our tongue. Let's not only eat with our mouths closed, let us talk with our mouths closed too! Let's live actively instead of loudly! ~

No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...