Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Keep Adding

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. ~ 2 Peter 1:5-8

WOW! Does this sound a little overwhelming? Let's see...I do pretty good until I get to the self-control part; wish I had more of that when it comes to the third helping of dinner. Brotherly kindness; well I think everyone could improve in that area if we were honest with ourselves; I know I have said no to a few opportunities to show brotherly kindness out of pure laziness. I don't want to make an extra meal for a sick friend. I just did one last week! or I don't have the extra money to donate to the church's Easter Reach out program (well, maybe if I didn't do McDonald's this week, but oh well). While I don't have them all figured out 100% of the time (nobody does, we're not perfect), I try to keep these virtues added into my daily life. After all, these are virtues that Peter reminds us are important to be fruitful and victorious in our spiritual life. I need to make sure that I am active in trying to keep these virtues in the forefront of my mind and my heart. We need to keep adding to our spiritual lives these ingredients that will then cultivate in us the love that God wants us to have for others. Remember in Algebra all the formulas and learning them step by step for the total outcome? The result was always the desired outcome and we felt so good for accomplishing the task at hand. I feel like this is a lot the same; another equation to life that I am figuring out step by step and knowing that the end result will be desired and I will be better for the accomplishment....so keep adding! ~

No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...