Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Show Good

Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. ~ Proverbs 3:27


Receiving good gifts that are unexpected is a joy in life.  We give good gifts in the form of respect, kindness, gentleness in troubled times and practical gifts that meets needs we have.  When we have that unexpected medical bill that we have no idea how we are going to pay and it's magically taken care of for us.  When we give respect to our parents, employers, or any authority - that is giving a good and deserved gift of character.  We should be in the business of putting others first and being faithful in helping those who need it in practical ways also.  To "withhold good" implies being stingy.  That we have the means, but maybe we are being a little selfish, or judgemental because we don't think that certain people deserves our help, or our best, but that is not how we are called to act.  Contrary to belief, you don't "earn" respect....respect should be given, not earned.  Everyone deserves respect just like everyone deserves breath.  Instead, "when it is in your power to act" means that when you have the means, do it!  You give. Period.  Help.  Give.  Be unselfish.  Love people by doing good.  Don't judge.  I have to admit that I am not very good at any of this.  OUCH!  Confession time.  If I am honest with myself it is much easier for me to give if it doesn't affect my little pocketbook.  I will give you all the time in the world, but don't ask for hard earned cash.  Shame on me!  Doing good for others blesses them, blesses me, and most importantly, doing good brings glory to God.  We are obligated to give our best, the "good" to everyone in practical, tangible and respectful ways.  Respect everyone and give them your best.  I have a lot to work on, but I'm ready.  Will you give your best?  Father, help me to give my best to everyone.  Help me to act and not withhold good. ~ Amen

No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...