Tuesday, July 16, 2024

My Yoke

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. ~ Matthew 11:29


A yoke, according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, is “a wooden bar or frame by which two draft animals (such as oxen) are joined at the heads or necks for working together”.  Another definition they have is “a frame fitted to a person’s shoulders to carry a load in two equal portions”.  These frames were used on a single animal, or multiple if the work was great.  Jews had a heavy burden of everyday law that they were under according to the great Pharisees of the day.  Those Pharisees questioned everything!  I imagine nothing was ever good enough for the Pharisees and the Jews probably felt pretty beaten down.  Jesus knew what his purpose was and he knew that he would be able to break the burdensome “law” yoke of those pious religious leaders.  The son of God invites the people to “take his yoke”; in other words, give Him authority and control of your life.  Let go of the countless religious exercises.  Submit to me and let me make your life easier.  Give me your burdens. He wanted to give them much needed rest; He could see they were exhausted.  And He wants to do the same for you.  Nobody will go through this life burden-free, but God is here willing and able to help you with your burdens.  The time would come when Jesus would break the burdensome worry of the law for the Jews and now that He has risen from the dead, He has broken through even that much more for us.   The Lord Almighty invites you to unload your burdens at His feet and let him relieve you and give you rest.  I don’t know about you, but I know when I spend the first few minutes of my day thanking God and then another few minutes of my day unloading my burdens, I do, indeed, feel relief.  I intentionally name my stressors off and let the Holy Spirit renew my soul.  The giving up of control is hard, but Jesus understands and wants to help.  Jesus is gentle and has come to heal our burden worn shoulders.  Take His yoke and put yourself under his authority and will. Let it go and let Him.  Leave it at his feet.  Let him give you rest. ~ Amen


No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...