Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Jacob's Descendants

Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob, all the remnants of the people of Israel, you whom I have upheld since your birth, and have carried since you were born.  Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you.  I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. ~ Isaiah 46:3-4


Doesn’t this verse give you great comfort?  He will carry me through, sustain me and rescue me.  What more could we want, or need?  Everything we need to get through any trial, temptation, or difficulty God has if we rely on him.  He even promises to be with us all through our golden years.  A superhero dad who takes care of all our needs and then some.  An action hero dad!  A dad who we can come to in our tremendous times of need and know that we will be taken care of no questions asked.  The idols of Israel’s enemies could not carry them, sustain them, and time and time again we see that those man made objects failed and could not rescue them.  These false gods had to be moved and carried by human hands.  Our God doesn’t need help; instead, we need his and he carries us.  The image I have is God telling the Israelites in a loving, but firm manner, “Hey idiots!  I am the one!  Me!  Not your crafted idols, but ME who has sustained you.  Turn your eyes the right way.  Redirect your praise!”  Rembrandt, van Gogh, Monet, or any other artist didn’t/doesn’t create beautiful masterpieces and then just toss them to the side.  No, they take extraordinary care of their creation.  The same is true of us.  God made us; do you really think anybody else is going to take better care of us?  He knows our thoughts, what makes us happy, or sad and he knows every cell in our body.  He knows how to get you to the end of this race; it’s designed BY Him for His creation.  He is all we need.  He will be with us from start to finish here on earth and as believers, He’ll be with us forever! He sent his only son to redeem us to Him; why would he not take care of us?  A number of people will let you down in this broken world, but God will never leave you.  You are as close to God as you want to be.  He is not the one who keeps you at a distance; it’s much more likely that you keep him at arms length for whatever reason.  All He has ever wanted to do is love you and take care of you.  Let Him. ~ Amen


No comments:

Love Enemies

But love your enemies, do good to them and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.  Then your reward will be great and you will...